Finding Inspiration in Uninspiration

Creating goals and reaching for them has always been easy for me. Attaining them, not so much. For the most part, it seems like anytime I start something, whether it's a craft, a routine, an activity, I get super gung-ho about starting it... and then it dwindles.

For example, I've been working on a crocheted hat made of bright, verrugated, crinkly yarn for almost a year now. It's not that it is a challenging task, I just don't feel inspired to work on it. Or I decide that other things are more important.

But are they? Are the small goals as important as the big ones? I should think so, seeing as you need to acheive multiple small goals before you can fully acheive any big ones. Yet here I am, staring at this headband of bright colours that should have been a hat months ago, uninspired.

A lot of things happen in a day, and I know I can't control them all. I wouldn't want to, I think my head would explode. But sometimes it just gets to me, how out of control I am about everything. Creating beautiful things is a goal, a passion, of mine, but I spend more time worrying about how to do it than actually just doing it. Ridiculous.

Starting today, I'm making a vow to myself to spend at least 15 minutes doing something instead of thinking about it. I'm going to finish that damn hat before it snows, and I'm going to wear it like a freaking crown.

Take that, inertia!

Much love,

Laura

2 comments:

Stoney Creek Homestead said...

Hi Laura

I am very famous for putting things off or not finishing them. But last year I had a brain fart. I am not getting any younger, and if I don't screw up the courage and at least try I would forever be a dreamer and never a doer.

You can not be scared to take a chance. Sometimes you fail, but mostly you succeed. Like Thomas Edison said 'I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.'

Laura Kaeding said...

Thanks Misty :) I'm glad I'm not the only chronic procrastinator around here. Thanks for that T.Edison quote, I think I'm going to make a little post it reminder that says that.