Hypocrasy or baby steps?

Spoke with my fiancee yesterday, we've been having more disagreements than usual, mostly due to her trying to quit smoking. She mentioned how she thought it was hypocritical of me to be preaching about buying humane, organic meats, and yet still have tons of clothes and love shopping.

I know I'm not perfect, I admit that I am materialistic, but I do try. I try to do my best, and sometimes I make mistakes. She has an all-or-nothing attitude, and I think that shows through a lot when we talk about the environment. I however try to look at it as baby-steps and accepting that no one will ever be perfect.

In a world where it has gone so far, this disposable lifestyle that the world is so accustomed to and so attached to, baby steps is the most viable way of trying to change that. I avoid plastic as much as possible, I'm cutting down on my meat consumption (again), I buy as much as I can second hand, we recycle, I try to find ways to reuse the stuff we have before chucking it. That's more than a lot of people do, that is what I'm proud of.

2 comments:

Mark Rummel said...

I found your blog from a comment left by Laura at NoNewPlastic.com.

It looks like you all are doing a lot of great stuff to be proud of! It is so encouraging to hear others' stories of living more sustainably!

Laura Kaeding said...

Thanks for coming over to visit! I love you and Melanie's blog. Your posts are always so inviting, I hope you keep it up past the 1 year mark :)