Looking back on 2010

This past year has been an interesting one. Full of new knowledge, and new friends. Eye-opening things have happened, and I have been learning and adapting as best I can.

Accomplishments:
  1. Got married. August 31, 2010 was the first day of my married life, and despite having ups and downs things have been quite fantastic.
  2. Rediscovered my love of writing. As you can see by the fact that I have been writing regularly, and I’m writing longer and more in-depth pieces, this is very true. Not to mention that I have been dabbling slightly in creative and fictional writing.
  3. Began on the path of conscious living. Who knew that this would be a goal of mine? I guess you never know how unconsciously you’re living until your eyes are opened. No looking back now!
  4. Got a new job. Working at a desk has allowed me the financial freedom to relax about bills, and also to look deeper into what we’re paying for and why. It also provides me the time to do quite a bit of reading and writing, much to my benefit (and hopefully yours as well)
  5. Became vegetarian (again). Much to the majority of my family’s chagrin, I’ve gone back to eating vegetarian. Despite arguments that I don’t get enough protein (ha!) and that I have no energy, I feel fresh and energetic. I can also feel it immediately when I need to refuel with some real sources of energy.
  6. Discovered compassionate parenting and attachment parenting. If only I had found these sooner, perhaps some issues would not have escalated so much. Hindsight is 20/20, and I intend to look forward and make each day worth it for myself, my wife, and my daughter.
  7. Began forgiving those who have hurt me. It’s a hard path, but it’s worth it.
  8. Treat others, including my family, as real people who deserve to be treated as such. For many years, I treated most of the people around me how others were treating me, which usually wasn’t very well. I was mean to my mother, ignored my brother, was rude to my friends, the list goes on. Forgiveness goes both ways, and I have forgiven those who wronged me, as well as forgiven myself for acting like such a jerk. Moving forwards is the only way left.
  9. Gained more confidence in myself. I feel more empowered and that the words I say have real meaning. When I say no to someone, I really mean it. I am still occasionally bullied into doing things I don’t want to, but am becoming more aware of it each time.
  10. Relaxed. Life had been so stressful for so long and mostly because I let it be that way. I have learned to relax, and take things as they are. Learning that there are some things that I can not change has been helpful, as is learning that I don’t have to be in control of everything to enjoy life.

There have been a few things that did not go according to plan, but it turns out that they weren’t even that important. I look forward to the next year where I will be expanding on what I’ve learned and experienced, and becoming even more of an awakened person than this past year.

Peace and serenity,

Simply Me

No comments: