Adopting Simplicity: I could never...

When you hear people mention simplifying or minimizing, is your first though I could never live without (insert object/service here)? I know I used to.

But it's really not that frightening or traumatizing to go without things that you may have become accustomed to. Take your cell phone for example. I carry my cell phone everywhere with me. I have it at work, I have it at home, and it's next to the bed while I'm sleeping. Do you think that I could live without it? It would be difficult, that is for sure, but I could manage.

But how? How could I bring myself to go without something that is currently an integral part of my daily routine?

Simple. I lived without being constantly connected to the world via telephone communication, and I could surely do it again. Cellular phones only picked up really big in the last 15-20 years. Now look where we are, there are 6 year olds out there with cell phones.

Crazy, I hear you say, what could a 6 year old possibly need with a cell phone? Believe me, I asked myself the same question. Believe it or not, it's a simple answer. His/her parents thought that the kid might need to get a hold of it, and thought little Jimmy/Jane was too good to be 'forced' to use the school's phone. Now, this general situation may not be all encompassing, I'm sure that each parent has a very good excuse for giving their dependent and non-self sufficient child a cell phone.

But the simple fact is this: it's just an excuse. There is no real good reason for a child so young they are not even capable of crossing the street alone to have a cell phone.

This is only one example of course, but look at the things you have in your life. Before you start thinking I could never live without ... think about why not. Why couldn't you live without it?

Why can't you live without cable television? Because reality is too much to handle? Or because you need a way to 'relax' after work? There are so many wonderful things to experience in the world.

Don't waste your time and energy on things that don't contribute positively to your life.

Go out and live your life. Relax in the fresh air and allow your senses to take in and be encompassed by the world around you. There is more out there than can ever be seen, but that is no reason to not try.

Peace and serenity,

Simply Me

Enjoy my Adopting Simplicity series? Here is a list of other posts from this series:
Step 1
Ask yourself this...
Be Here Now
Three important things per day
Simplify your holidays by adding depth

No comments: