Sugar free trial

I've done it before, and I'm doing it again.

Going sugar free. Initial goal is one week. Seven days. Not so terrifying.

The rules: (remember, these are my rules, so if you want to do this yourself, feel free to use your own rules)
-No refined sugar, which means, no sugar in my tea/coffee, no brown sugar on my oatmeal, no sugar in my muffins, etc
-No artificial sweeteners, no Splenda, no aspartame, nothing
-Allowed: natural sugars, such as those in fruits and vegetables.

Started this on Tuesday, but had some bread which had sugar in it, so official start date was Wednesday October 20th.

Why am I doing this? It's a test, a trial so to speak. It makes me have to remember to check labels of foods, and pushes me more towards raw, whole, real foods.

Also, sugar depresses the immune system, it's addictive, along with countless other issues

It's eye opening, and it's inspiring. I love the feeling. I haven't gotten any withdrawal symptoms, which is surprising. But we'll see.

Once I make it to a week, maybe I'll continue and make it to a month.

(Sidenote: I've also stopped eating meat, and significantly cut down my dairy and egg consumption.)

Have you ever tried something new, just temporarily, to see if you could do it and how you would feel?

Do you think I'm crazy and out of my mind for trying something like this?

Peace and serenity,

Simply Me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend replacing your sweeteners with agave nectar. It's perfect for teas and coffees, and replaces sugar in recipes really well. (Pure maple syrup is great for baking as well.)You can also move to less refined sugars and not suffer as many of the ill effects. White sugar should be removed from anyone's diet, though, in my opinion.

What you really need to watch out for is added sugars in processed and packaged foods and high fructose corn syrup. It's likely the hfcs that you are addicted to. I went through a major detox when I cut it from my diet, but it was totally worth it.

Good luck with this trial, and let us know how it goes!

Laura Kaeding said...

I actually just bought some agave nectar yesterday thanks to your tip, thank you!

Luckily here in Canada, manufacturers don't use HFCS as much as they seem to in the states. I always look for that, because I know how bad it is. It doesn't even taste good either...

Either way, my weekend fudged my trial, but I'm going to try again. If at first you don't succeed, try try again. :) Thanks for coming by.